Monday, October 22, 2007

As Time Permits...

I have been filled with so many thoughts and ideas lately about what I want from life, or what kind of life I want to create for my kids to make a lifelong impact on them. So as time permits in the midst of all the chaos I am hoping to randomly get some thoughts out regarding my passions, hopes, dream and ideals. (I laugh seeing as I have like 14 other things to be doing right now and the kids are always coming in...)

Is my life only about my kids right now or is there a way to do/get more? I have this dream to in some small way try to change the world and make it better. (Just a little dream!) But is that even possible as a mom of 4 kids? You could argue that my pouring into them IS changing lives...yes...but I also want more. I want to give them more.

This weekend I watched two really great movies that generate a lot of thought. Beyond the Gates is a BBC film about the Rwandan genocide in 1994 and the lives of a handful of Westerners who were involved in providing refuge and then later bailing on the Rwandan people. (All of this begs the question: What the hell was I doing in 1994 that I was not aware of what was going on...and what the hell am I doing now to end the current struggle in Darfur?)

The second was A Mighty Heart the story of American journalist Daniel Pearl who was captured and murdered in Pakistan in 2002. As it turns our Danny Pearl went to high school walking distance to my house at Birmingham H.S...and they've named a journalist/leadership magnet after him in that school. His folks still live in Encino I think.

People are dying and sacrificing their lives everyday for my freedoms of deciding to choose goldfish crackers over cheezenips. And while my kids are eating their goldfish crackers and throwing away the half a bowl of left overs, children are dying all over the world from malnutrition.

What the hell am I doing?...and what can I do????

I know it is all too overwhelming and I don't really have any answers. But I am asking the questions. I want to be aware. I want my kids to be aware. I want them to know they are priviledged not because they have shelves and shelves of toys and want even more...but because they are alive...they are healthy...they don't have to worry about whether they will have lunch, or dinner, or fishy crackers...they have a home. And they have love.

But I want to do more....so until I up and sell all I have and move to Africa (hey, it's a thought) or whatever I do I want to be asking the questions and shock myslef out of suburbia.

I want to be a mom that is raising my kids to love others and do their part to save the world...and that means more than just recycling and writing to our Compassion Child in Tanzania.

Ok...kids are back. I think I have a bathroom to clean, or dinner to prepare, or school to teach....

1 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

WOW Malia, That was good. I totally think the same thing thing sometimes and then reality sinks in and back to our lives as we know it. Sad , isn't it? I wish we could all just start over equally and the worlds hatred and hurt would just disappear. Great thoughts though...

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home