Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Way of the Heart

SO this week I've been rereading some of Henri Nouwen's books that I was first introduced to in college. Man...he packs the most powerful of punches in the smallest of books. I read In the Name of Jesus and today it was The Way of the Heart.

Here's a few quotes:

"Compassion can never coexist with judgement because judgement creates the distance, the distinction, which prevents us from really being with the other." (Nouwen)

"The crisis of our prayer life is that our minds may be filled with the ideas of GOd while our hearts remain far from him. Real prayer comes from the heart." (Nouwen)

"To Pray is to descend with the mind into the heart, and there to stand before the face of the Lord, ever-present, all-seeing within you." (Theophan the Recluse)

"When we have found our rest in God we can do nothing other than minister." (Nouwen)

Hmmmm...my prayer life sucks. Learning the discipline of praying without ceasing is invaluable. This book helps lead the way. I think I'll be quite now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home