Friday, May 26, 2006

Heart for my boy


I took the boys to school today as I always do on Johnny's day off. Some times I can get by just taking them to the "drop-off", but today Carter insisted I walk him in. Taylor ran off ahead to play, but Carter started to cling - which he so often does when I take him to school. He then started crying in fear, saying, "The kids are gonna tease me, mommy. I don't want to go."

In those instances I just die as a mom. I want to protect my baby. But he has to go to school. What am I gonna do - impromptu sick day? I can't explain that one to Taylor! Then I'd have a mutiny on my hands!

I reassured my baby and tried to comfort him in those moments. I said I'd speak to his teacher. She passed by and I found out that yesterday, she had caught a big group of kids teasing Carter. She tried to handle the situation by "flipping their cards" and helping Carter out, but clearly my baby's heart was wounded. I love Carter's teacher. I think she really does a good job and has such a heart for those kids. But my baby is just so stinking short and he just gets picked on by the nature of his stature. He's a "young" 1st grader...but I'm just astounded how mean other kids can be. Even at a Christian school. I LOVE the kid's school. It's a GREAT school. I could sing it's praises all day long. The teachers are wonderful. The administration is great. They really care for our kids and do a GREAT job. But at the end of the day, I don't have control over the other kids in my boy's class and the comments they make that wound his character when the teacher is not looking or when they are out on the playground.

It just kills me as a mom to watch my baby suffer. So send up a little prayer for Carter today.

You are on my heart buddy...and I LOVE you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home